After the global launch of the flagship Samsung Galaxy Note 9, the Samsung today launched it in India. Let’s see how Galaxy Note 9 can replace Galaxy Note 8. Here I have compared both the smartphones based on their features and specifications.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 vs Galaxy Note 8
- Note 9 comes with new exciting colours
- Note 9 is short but thicker and wider
- Camera and fingerprint sensors are rearranged
- similar design
The dimension of Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is 162.5 x 74.8 x 8.6mm and it weighs 195g. The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 has the dimension of 161.9 x 76.4 x 8.8mm that is little wider and heavier than Galaxy Note 8. Galaxy Note 9 weighs 201g. The Galaxy Note 9 is little shorter than Galaxy Note 8 because of shrinking the top and bottom bezels but taking the screen a little bigger of Galaxy Note 9.
Although the construction and design of both the phones are almost same. There is a small change in the rear side that is the cameras and fingerprint scanner are rearranged. This is to make the scanner separate and sit below the cameras. The Galaxy Note 9 also comes with some new colors, and the S Pen doesn’t match the body color in all available models.
- Aspect ratio and screen resolution is same
- Screen to body ration is slightly higher in Note 9
- Pixel density is higher in Note 8
- Note 9 has a bigger screen size
Samsung has used super AMOLED display and a Quad HD+ resolution of 2960 x 1440 pixels in both the phones. The main changes in the display has been done to improve the performance of the panel.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 has 6.4-inch screen size which is slightly larger than the Galaxy Note 8 which has 6.3-inch screen size. This has been achieved by reducing the bazels on Galaxy Note 9.
- 6 GB RAM available in both phones
- Internal memory is just double in Note 9
- Both of the phone have expandable memory
- Both phones are USB OTG supported
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 also comes with 6 GB RAM as of Galaxy Note 8. However Galaxy Note 9 has 128 GB internal memory as it is expandable upto 512 GB.While, Galaxy Note 8 comes with 64 GB internal memory and is expandable upto 256 GB. Samsung has given adequate memory for a good user experience.
- Both phones have ISO control and wide angle selfie camera
- Auto focus and image resolution is present in both phones.
- 8 MP front camera is provided in both phones.
- Galaxy Note 9 comes with LED flash
Galaxy Note 9 gets the dual aperture system, which can boost the low light performance over Galaxy Note 8.
Galaxy Note 9 also offers AI tech to optimize images based on the scene. Since, the megapixel remains same for both the phone, Note 9 comes with LED flash. Note 9 also gets dual optical image stabilization.
5. Network Connectivity
- Both phones have WiFi connectivity at 5GHz
- Both phones have blue tooth connectivity with version v5.0
- Volte support is available in both phones.
- Both supports USB type c
Galaxy Note 9 have almost same features as of Galaxy Note 8 in the matter of network connectivity. Both phones supports Indian bands 2G, 3G, 4G. Both phones come with hybrid sim slot and supports only nano size sim card. NFC is available in both phones. USB connectivity is provided with mass storage device and USB charging features. Both phones support A-GPS glonass .
6. Operating System
- Galaxy Note 9 comes with Android v8.1 (Oreo)
- Galaxy Note 8 comes with Android v7.1.1 (Nougat)
- Note 9 comes with graphics version Mali-G72 MP18
- Note 8 comes with graphics version Mali-G71 MP20
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 comes with the latest Android version v8.1 (Oreo) and it has the powerful processor of Octa core (2.7 GHz, Quad core, M3 Mongoose + 1.7 GHz, Quad core, Cortex A55). While, Galaxy Note 8 comes with the Android version v7.1.1 (Nougat) and processor Octa core (2.3 GHz, Quad core, M2 Mongoose + 1.7 GHz, Quad core, Cortex A53). Note 9 comes with Chipset of Samsung Exynos 9 Octa 9810, while Note 8 comes with Chipset of Samsung Exynos 9 Octa 8895. Both phones have 64 bit architecture.
7. Multimedia Support
- Both phones have loudspeaker
- FM radio is not available in any one
- Audio jack of 3.5mm is available in both phones
Both phones come with loudspeaker facility with a good sound quality. Since, FM radio is not available but both the phones are compatible with HD video and audio songs. Standard audio jack of 3.5mm is provided in both phones.
- Iris scanner is available in both phones
- Note 8 comes with Heart Rate Monitor feature
- Finger Print sensor is available in both phones
Galaxy Note 8 comes with Heart Rate Monitoring feature. Finger print sensor is positioned in rear side of both the phones. Both of the phones come with Iris scanner. Some important and useful sensors are provided in both the phones like- Light sensor, Proximity sensor, Accelerometer, Barometer, Gyroscope.
- Galaxy Note 9 comes with 4000 mAh battery capacity
- Galaxy Note 8 comes with 3300 mAh battery capacity
- Li-ion battery is available in both phones
- Quick charging feature is available in both phones
Galaxy Note 9 has a powerful battery with 4000 mAh capacity, while Note 8 has a battery with 3300 mAh capacity. Batteries of both phones are not user replaceable. Quick charging and wireless charging is supported in both phones.
10. Price and Availability
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9: £899/£1099
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8: £869
Galaxy Note 8 was the most expensive phone before the launch of Apple iPhone X. However, the price of Note 8 is still £869.
The Note 9 starts at £899 for the 128 GB model, or £1099 for the 512 GB model. From 24 of August Note 9 will be available on the stores.