Connect Mobile to PC Internet via WiFi
Suppose your have a computer connected with internet and you want to connect mobile to PC internet. You can turn your computer as WiFi hotspot, provided you have a wireless adapter installed in your computer. Don’t worry, all the laptops comes with a wireless adapter installed. In case of desktop computer you can check that your computer have a wireless adapter installed or not. If not, you can try some other way that I have given below. By using these methods you can turn your computer into a wireless router and share the internet connection with mobile devices. This is a great idea for those places where you are only provided with a single login for WiFi.
Here are following methods to connect mobile to PC internet-
1. Using Windows 10
- Open Command Prompt(Admin) by pressing win+ x key. Now you can use Command Prompt with Administrator access.
- Check if you have a compatible wireless adapter installed. Wireless adapter is required to create a wireless network for your mobile devices to connect to. Type the following command to check if you have an adapter installed, and if it’s compatible- netsh wlan show drivers .
- If you get a message saying “The Autoconfig Service is not running”, your computer does not have a wireless adapter installed. You can try a USB wireless adapter.
- Find the Hosted Network Supported Line. You can find it by scrolling backup. If it says yes, your wireless adapter supports broadcasting a wireless network. Keep the Command Prompt window open for now.
- All wireless adapters do not support hosting their own network. If your computer does not have a compatible adapter, you can try a USB adapter or Wi-Fi Direct technology with apps like “Wifi Direct Access Point” from Microsoft App Store.
- Your computer needs to be connected with a Ethernet Cable, which you are turning into a WiFi Hotspot.
- Press win+ x and select “Network Connections” to open the Network Connections window. Look for an “Ethernet” connection in the list. It will have an Ethernet cable icon underneath the network icon.
- Open the Command Prompt Window and type the following Command:- netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=namekey=password
- Enter the name and password as per your wish. Password must be at least eight characters long.
- Enter the following command to start your new hotspot:- netsh wlan start hostednetwork
- Go to the Network Connections window, which you can find in the menu when you press win+ x key.
- Right Click your Ethernet connection and select “properties“. Check the first box in the sharing tab.
- It reads “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.”
- Select your network that you just created from the menu. You will be sharing your internet connection with this network. It could be labeled “Local Area Connection #,” “Wi-Fi” or “Microsoft Hosted Virtual Adapter.
- Click OK to save the changes and try connecting your mobile device with your newly created wireless network.
- You can open WiFi section in your mobile and find your new wireless network in the list of available networks.
- When your are finished using internet, you can turn off the hotspot by similar way how you created it.
- Open Command Prompt(Admin) by pressing win+ x key.
- Type netsh wlan stop hosted network and press Enter .
- Return to the Network Connections window, open the Ethernet connection’s Properties, and disable connection sharing in the Sharing tab.
Also read: How to Connect Your PC to TV through HDMI
2. Using Windows 7 and 8
- Check if you have a wireless adapter installed in the computer by opening the Start menu and typing ncpa.cpl. Press Enter and the Network Connections window will open. Look for a connection labeled “Wireless Network Connection“. It will have a signal bar icon underneath the connection icon. This indicates that you have a wireless adapter installed.
- You need to download a Virtual Router to share your computer’s internet connection via a new wireless network using protocols built into Windows. Virtual Router allows you to share your connection via wireless using the same card that your computer using to connect to the network. In other words, you only need a single wireless connection on your computer to create a Wi-Fi access point and share your internet with mobile devices.
- After downloading the Virtual Router, double click on it to install it. After installing you can find it in your Downloads folder.
- You need to run the Virtual Router after installing it. If it is not starting, you have to update to update your wireless drivers.
- Press Win+R and type devmgmt.msc to launch the Device Manager.
- Expand the “Network adapters” category, right-click on your wireless adapter, and select “Update Driver Software.”
- Enter a name for your new wireless network in the “Network Name (SSID)” field. This name will be appeared as the network name, and it will be visible to everyone. so make sure that it does not contain any personal information.
- Enter the password to protect your wireless network. This password must be entered while connecting your mobile device with the network.
- Select the wireless network which you want to share. Click the “Start Virtual Router” button. Your new wireless network will be created, and you’ll be able to see it on your mobile device.
- Connect your mobile with the newly created wireless network. Open WiFi in your mobile and select your network from the list of available network and connect through it.
Here I have tried to describe a method to Connect Mobile to PC Internet via WiFi. By this method you can turn your windows PC in to a WiFi hotspot. You can share your PC internet with your mobile devices very easily. This method is applicable to all windows version. Within few steps you can create a wireless network and after using you can turn it off.