The Republic day of India is celebrated on 26th January of every year to honor the constitution of India as it was came into force on the same day in 1950. This year India is celebrating it’s 70th Republic day.
Republic Day of India
On 26th January 1950, the constitution of India came into force. It replaced the Government of India act, 1935 and India became a democratic republic country. So, 26th January of each year is celebrated as Republic day with a great pride and honor. The government of India declares the national holiday on this day.
History of Republic Day of India
On 15th August 1947, India got freedom from British rule. After becoming an independent country India needed a constitution to run the country. A drafting committee was formed by the leaders of India to work on a new constitution. On 4th November 1947, the drafting committee presented the first draft of the Indian constitution to the national assembly. The first draft of the Indian Constitution was signed by the national assembly in both versions, i.e. English and Hindi on 24th January 1950. It took two years, 11 months and 18 days to complete the work of constitution and finally it was ready on 26th November 1949. The Indian constitution came into force on 26th January 1950 and India was declared as a Purna Swaraj country.
The constitution of India give the power to citizen to elect their own government. Dr. Rajendra Prasad took the oath as first president of India. Since then, 26th of January is being celebrated as the Republic Day in India.
How Republic Day of India is Celebrated
The Republic day of India is celebrated in all over the country with a great enthusiasm and pride. Various events are organised in schools and colleges. Government of India put a great effort to celebrate the republic day in the capital. The Indian national flag TIRANGA is hoisted in each and every organisations. A huge, grand military parade is held in New Delhi at Rajpath as well as the state capitals. Participants from the Indian Army, Air Force, Navy and traditional dance group takes part in the parade.
Parade held in New Delhi especially begins when prime minister of India pays tribute to the Amar Jawan Jyoti at India Gate. It is done to remember the sacrifices made by our Indian army soldiers while saving the country. Military salute is taken by the President of India during the parade in the Capital whereas military salute is taken by the state governors in their respective state capitals. On this special day, one foreign head of the state is invited as the president’s chief guest.
On this occasion, the soldiers of armed forces, common people and students from the school are honored with various national awards, such as MahaVeer Chakra, Ashok Chakra, Param Veer Chakra and Veer Chakra along with bravery medals for their exemplary work and performances. Most strikingly, the helicopters of our armed forces perform a show in the sky and shower rose petals over the audience sitting in India Gate. In addition, you can also enjoy various dance and singing performances by the school children. The jawans of the armed forces performs rides through motorcycle whereas the staff from the Indian Air Force performs fly parade on the fighter planes (making TRICOLOR of the Indian Flag with the help of smoke) for offering the honor salute to our president.
Various traditional and cultural programs are performed by the professionals from different states to focus on the history and culture of our country. During this grand celebration, prime minister’s rally and Lok Tarang – National Folk Dance Festival is also held from 24th to 29th of January.
All the government and non government offices of the nation and state, including post offices and banks remain closed on this day. Special security is organized on this day because of a huge gathering and to prevent any mishap from happening.
Chief Guest on Republic Day of India 2019
“Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa“, the fifth and current President of South Africa will be the Chief Guest on 70th Republic Day of India 2019.
Cyril Ramaphosa was invited by the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi during the G20 summit which was held in Buenos Aires, the capital of Argentina. He (from South Africa) was especially chosen for this occasion because India is celebrating the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi who had very close links with the people of South Africa. PM Modi said that the visit of the South African President to India will help in enhancing the ties between the two countries.
Special Events on Republic Day of India 2019
- Prime Minister will inaugurate the ‘National War Memorial’ near India Gate on the eve of Republic Day to honour the soldiers who sacrificed their lives for the nation. IAF will carry out a special fly-past with three helicopters and SU 30 jets on the occasion.
- This year, Indian Air Force will be flying an aircraft which will run by blended bio-fuel on the Republic Day 2019 fly-past with 10 percent of bio-fuel in it. The aircraft will fly over Rajpath with a ‘V’ shape formation resembling ‘Victory’ sign.
- 2019 celebration will be special as this year will mark the 150th birth anniversary of ‘Father of the Nation’. Around 17 tableaux from states/Union Territories and 6 from various ministries will be displayed in the parade based on the theme ‘Gandhi’.
- This year at Rajpath parade, a tableau will also showcase ‘Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapeeth’ which is a historical educational institution situated in Varanasi. The tableau will also display the glory of Ghats, Buddhist Monks, rituals and ancient temples of Varanasi.
- India Gate will remain close from 23rd January 09:00 AM onwards on account of rehearsal. The security in the state has been beefed up for the Republic Day celebration and 30 face recognition cameras and 250 CCTV have been installed at various sites to keep a vigil on the event.
- This year one of the contingents of IAF will march on the tune of astronaut in the parade at Rajpath and the theme for the IAF tableau this year will be ‘Indian Air Force: Safeguarding Indian Skies’.
- It will be the first time that a woman officer would be leading the Army Services Corps in the 2019 Republic Day parade. The Daredevils Motorcycle Team will also include a women officer in their team this year.
- It will be the first time in history that all women contingent of Assam Rifles, which is one of the oldest paramilitary forces of India, will take part in the Republic Day parade this year. CISF will display its tableau in the parade after 11 years.
- It will be the first time that winners of National Bravery Awards might not be able to join the parade at Rajpath as the NGO giving the awards has allegations of financial integrity. However the winners of Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar will get the chance to walk at Rajpath parade.
- Republic Day 2019 Parade Tickets are available from 07th January to 25th January and from 27th January to 28th January for Beating Retreat ceremony at various locations and sales counters in Delhi.
How Republic Day will be Celebrated in States
- West Bengal will showcase its tableau based on ‘Gandhiji in Santiniketan and Beliaghata’ in this year’s Republic Day parade and Delhi tableau will depict the time Mahatma Gandhi’s spent in Delhi.
- Uttar Pradesh government will release around 1500 prisoners who are aged or suffering from serious illness on the occasion of Republic Day 2019 from the jails of Agra, Bareilly, Fatehgarh, Naini and Varanasi.
- Punjab will showcase its tableau at Rajpath about the history of Jallianwala Bagh. ‘Peace Within’ will be the theme of Arunachal Pradesh tableau showing Gandhi’s ideologies.
- Uttrakhand will depict the tableau of ‘Anasakti Ashram’, Kosani in Uttrakhand in the Rajpath parade, where Mahatma Gandhi spent a considerable amount of time in 1929 and which he said as the ‘Switzerland of India’.
- Around 16 departments of Bihar government will showcase their tableaux in the state Republic Day celebration which will take place at Gandhi Maidan, Patna.
- The Annual Republic Day Flower show at Lal Bagh, Bangalore will pay tribute to Mahatma Gandhi by making sculptures related to Gandhi, using around 7 lakhs flowers.
- The Republic Day Parade in Lucknow will also display the military might of Armed Forces which will include T-90 Tanks, Bhishm Tanks, Anti Tank Guided Missiles, Automatic Grenade Launchers etc.
India will celebrate it 70th Republic day on 26th January 2019. It’s a pride moment for each and every Indians. On this occasion we will hoist our national flag TRICOLOR and sing the national song JAN MAN GAN and VANDE MATARAM. We will remember the sacrifices of our freedom fighters. On this occasion we all Indian should take a oath to serve our country and always be ready to sacrifice for our country. JAI HIND… VANDE MATARAM…
You may also like:- APJ Abdul Kalam Birth Anniversary: Biography of the “Missile Man”