Many of us want to create a website but we don’t know where to begin from. We think that creating a website requires a programming and coding skills. In this tutorial I have given a step by step guide to how to create a website for free.
Believe me this tutorial gives you a fast and easy way to create a website without having knowledge of coding or design.
In this tutorial, I have shown you how can you build a website of your choice like other web developer do.
Some Basic Knowledge About Creating a Website
Before you start, you must know about the website building platforms and website builders around the market. Some of the website building platforms are WordPress, Wix, Joomla, Drupal etc. These are free and paid platforms.
There are two ways to create a website:-
- Secondly, you can use one of the website building platforms. They provide a ready made platform. You just need to customize it in your own way.
There are many benefits in using these platforms:-
- You don’t need to have a good knowledge of coding.
- It is completely free.
- It saves your time and efforts.
In 2019 survey, it is found that 52% people are using WordPress as a website builder or content management system. The reason behind this is that WordPress is completely free and is more user friendly. It suits everyone like- small business websites, online shops, bigger organizations etc.
So, for beginners I suggest to use WordPress to create a website.
So, let’s start building a website…
Read also:- Search Engine Marketing (SEM)- Learn About It
Step 1. Get a Web hosting and a Domain Name
In order to create a website, you need two things.
- Domain Name: It’s a web address. It represents the address of your site.
- Web Hosting: It’s a server which contains the content of your site. It connects your site to the internet.
WordPress gives you free domain name but it adds it’s extension in your domain name like- “yoursitename.wordpess.com“. If you want to create a professional website you should go for paid domains.
There are many paid domains available such as- .com, .in, .net, .edu, .uk etc. You can choose one of them according to your website category.
Where do I Register a Domain Name and Web Hosting?
There are many web hosting services are available in the market. Some of them are- Godaddy, Bluehost, NameCheap, Hostgator etc. You can choose any of them as per your convenience.
Here is a step by step guide to register a domain name and web hosting-
1. Go to your web hosting service
You can select any web hosting service.
2. Choose your Web Hosting Plan
Web Hosting service provides different plans according to space, bandwidth and other ad-ons . If you are a beginner and your site will get low traffic, then you can choose basic plan. Later, you can upgrade your plan. If you want more space and bandwidth for your site, you can choose premium plan.
3. Choose a Domain Name
Consider choosing a domain name matching with your company name or niche, like- “yourcompanyname.com“.
4. Create your Account
To create your account, enter your personal information in the “create your account” page. You need to give your name, email address, mobile number and address. Your receipt will be sent to your email address. Then you will be asked to enter your payment information to continue.
5. Complete Your Registration and Login to Your Web Host account
Select your plan and complete your registration. Once you make the payment and complete the registration process, you will be able to create a password. You can log in to your account by using this password.
Step 2. Setup Your Website
Once you’ve bought your domain name and hosting, it’s time to have a content management system to organize your content. WordPress is the best content management system.
There are two ways to install wordpress:
1. One-click Installation
Almost every reliable and well-established hosting company has integrated 1-click-installation for WordPress. You can find your “1-click-installation” in your account control panel.
Here is the step by step guide for “1-click-installation”.
- login to your hosting account.
- Go to your control panel.
- Look for the “WordPress” or “Website” icon.
- Choose the domain where you want to install your new website.
- Click the “Install Now” button and you will get access to your new WordPress website.
2. Manual Installation
If your hosting company doesn’t provide “1-click-installation” , you can install wordpress manually.
Here is the step by step guide for “Manual Installation”
1) Download WordPress from here: https://wordpress.org/download
2) Create a new folder on your desktop and unzip WordPress in it
3) Look for a file named wp-config-sample.php and rename it to: wp-config.php
4) Now open the wp-config.php (with notepad for example) and fill the following lines:
- define(‘DB_NAME’, ‘database_name_here’); – Database name (if you don’t know it, ask this from your hosting support)
- define(‘DB_USER’, ‘username_here’); – Your hosting username
- define(‘DB_PASSWORD’, ‘password_here’); – Your hosting password
After you have filled the gaps, save the file.
5) Now log into your hosting ftp (download FileZilla for that). The FTP address is usually ftp.yourdomain.com, username and password are the same that you used to register to your host.
6) If there is any file named “index” – delete it. After that upload all the files from your WordPress folder to your FTP server. I believe you can use “drag n drop” function in FileZilla.
7) Once you have completed the previous steps, go the URL: yourdomain.com/wp-admin/install.php
Just fill in the forms and you are ready to go…
Step 3. Design Your Website
Once you have installed wordpress successfully to your domain, you need a theme to given a customize look to your website. A theme is just a design template that tell how your website should look like.
WordPress provides a lot of free themes that you can use in your website. However, there are paid themes also available that you can purchase and use in your website.
How to find a Theme for your website-
1. Login to your WordPress Dashboard
You can type in: https://yoursite.com/wp-admin (replace “yoursite” with your domain). Your wordpress dashboard will open. WordPress dashboard is very much user-friendly. Everything is easily labeled.
2. Get Free Themes
Once you are on the dashboard, Just search the sidebar for “Appearance”, then click “Themes”. Here you can select any theme you like. You should choose a responsive theme, as this means they will look good on any mobile device.
3. Install Your Theme
Once you have selected a theme you like, you can click on “Install” followed by “Activate”. You can change your theme anytime. It will not affect your previous posts and contents.
Step 4. Add Content to Your Site
After installing the theme, you are ready to create content to your site.
There are some basics to create content to your site:
1. Add pages to your Site
you need to add some pages to your site, such as- “Service” page or “About me” page.
- To add a page to your site, go to the sidebar in the WordPress Dashboard for “Pages” -> “Add New”.
- You will find a screen that looks like a page in Microsoft word. It allows you to add text, images and more to build the page you want, then save it when you’re done.
- You can save your page by clicking “Update”.
2. Create a Menu
You need to create menu to link your page to the navigation bar.
- Click “Appearance” -> “Menus” in the sidebar of the WordPress Dashboard.
- Find the page you created and add it to the list by clicking the checkbox next to it and then “Add to Menu”.
3. Create a Post
If you have a blog on your website, your next move is to create post. You can use different category to group similar posts.
You can create new category by going to “Posts -> Categories”.
Or, you can create a blog post by going to “Posts -> Add New”. Once you’ve finished writing your blog post, you need to add the right category for it.
While creating a post, you must note that your post should be SEO optimized. SEO optimized post are easy to rank in Google. You should use focus keyword to tell google what is your post about.
Step 5. Install Plugin for Better optimization of Your Site
Plugins are extensions which expands the wordpress capabilities. It adds extra features and functions to your site, which doesn’t come built in with wordpress.
To install plugin go to “Plugins -> Add New” and search your required plugin. There are various plugins available for different functions, from adding contact form to your site to optimizing your post automatically. Some most used plugins are: Yoast Seo, Google Analytics, Cache3, Optinmonster etc.
You are Ready to Launch your Website
In this article we saw the step by step guide to how to create a website for free. After following all these steps you will be able to launch your website. By this method you can also create a website for your business. You need to update your website regularly to rank on top in google. You need to create valuable content for your visitor to keep them engaged.
I hope you enjoyed this article. If you find any difficulty in creating your website, feel free to write in comment box. I will try to help you. Thank You!
You may also like:- How to Find the Published Date of a Website